Old 27-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Threadfin Rainbows & Planted Tank

tose (LeighMo) wrote:

If you want to add algae eaters, otocinclus catfish would be a better choice
for a ten gallon tank. Get three, if you can.

Which means get six, as half are likely to die in the first week. Otos
have a high mortality rate when first brought home.

Personally, I've had poor results with otos. The first week they did a
tremendous job of cleaning up algae, but after that they moved in
under the heater in the back of the tank, and I haven't seen them
working since. I'd fire them, but I don't want to deal with severance
issues.

Or try snails. Pomacea bridgesii come in all kinds of pretty colors,
and they won't take over your tank.

Good advice, but make sure (Cam) that you're actually getting
bridgesii snails. You may be best off buying them from an experienced
hobbyist. May pet stores will sell a variety of snails under the
blanket name "apple / mystery snail". If you get Pomacea canaliculata
instead of bridgesii, your plants will disappear along with your
algae!

--
www.ericschreiber.com