Old 27-07-2003, 08:02 AM
bnd777

Default Hedging to protect vegetables

I would suggest box hedging as its dense but not too invasive root wise
Also if you have anything too high it will stop rain getting to the soil
Mind you a very large compost heap will be your first essential if you have
stony Alkaline soil

"Roy Forster" wrote in message
news
I have just bought a house with a half acre back garden and I am about to
set up a large vegetable plot - aiming for self-sufficiency eventually. It
is quite a windy site on good, but stony alkaline soil. I would like to
put
in some hedging (preferably decorative) to protect plants from the wind.

Any suggestions, including whether they are easy to propagate would be
appreciated.

Roy