Old 27-07-2003, 08:34 AM
Jim Webster

Default Paying to find non-GE wild corn?

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
Jim Webster wrote:

"Oz" wrote in message
Gordon Couger writes

"Oz" wrote in message

I suspect you may have a problem with jim's climate.

It's a rare month indeed when transpiration exceeds precipitation.

I wouldn't know what to do with that. I just want to get wells dug

that
make
enough water that I don't care if it rains.

Jim just want's field drains and ditches that can take it away

quickly..

--

yes, I have land that I will not take cattle on between October and

March,
even though I can silage it in May.
I do find it fascinating reading when everyone is discussing the

advantages
of no-till and struggling to retain soil moisture, round here ploughing

is
used to dry the land out a bit. You plough and let the sun and wind take
away some of the moisture so you can get a tilth.

Funny old world

What are various types of trees like at extracting water from the ground?

I suppose evergreens keep the sun off the land, but they might shelter
animals from wind.

I am thinking that the surface area of roots in contact with soil is
greater than the area exposed to wind by ploughing. Then the leaves
contact the wind. Also the trees could be a crop.

You could plant several types of trees, each working better in slightly
different conditions. Diversity is much better against troubles. You can
have the diversity within each farm, or else you use the govt to buffer
against loss as with BSE, or both. I hate to think who will bear the brunt
of troubles with the huge GM reduced diversity scheme.

not in the UK, planting trees is a waste of time and is not economically
viable unless you have an awful lot of land.Plant trees here and you would
drive people off the land

Jim Webster