Old 27-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Moosh:]

Default Paying to find non-GE wild corn?

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:48:48 -0600, "Dean Ronn" @home wrote:

"Moosh:]" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:12:10 +0100, Oz
wrote:

Moosh:] writes

How could you dry out a crop by applying an aqueous solution?
Oh, I see, they killed a crop with the herbicide making it look dry?
That's illegal, for use on a food crop.

Actually no. Dessicants are not that unusual in european agriculture
(and probably american as well). It's quite often used for EU canola,
and sometimes other crops, particularly where weed control has been, er,
less than perfect.

This has been going on for decades.

Yes, I follow, but would you use Roundup for this?
What chemicals are used for dessicants? Curious.

Reglone, for one. Round-Up has a duel use here in the fall. It can be used
as a slower acting dessicant, but usually is used in a pre-harvest treatment
to control such weeds as Canada thistle and dandelion.
By the way, where did you get the information that this practice was
illegal???????????

I just assumed that there was a witholding period for food crops. I
know glyphosate is next to harmless, but guessed the regulator would
have erred on the side of caution, and disallowed appliction just
before harvest. Apparently I was wrong, sorry.