Old 27-07-2003, 04:12 PM
animaux

Default Rats, Rats, R-A-T-S

Have-A-Hart live traps work, but I have to tell you, there will never ever be
rat free anything. They outnumber humans by 5 or more to 1. I have a lot of
room, so I put three compost bins are the corners of the property. They have
plenty to eat at those so don't bother my plants too much. We also grow
sunflowers and let the seeds drop away from the house.

I don't like trapping because I always worry they have babies somewhere which
can die a miserable death. Then again, I don't view rats as horrid varmints. I
appreciate them as being just another life and try to stay out of it. I also
grow strawberries which they can eat...and those plants are away from the house.

I also find if I stay out of it, a rat snake will show up, and has. Nature is
cruel at times, but if it happens naturally, without my intervention, it's the
way it goes. So, in essence, I tolerate rats and the like.

Victoria

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:56:02 -0700, "J. Farnsworth Wallaby"
wrote:

Does anyone have an ingenious trapping and/or eradicating methods for
ridding our property of these varmints? Poisoning is not an option; too
much wildlife around. The hawks are not around when the rats are out at
night.

Rats are wrecking havoc with our bird feeders and chewing on our
avocados and other fruits.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain...USDA 9B...Sunset # 19