Old 27-07-2003, 06:42 PM
David Rance

Default red currants

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, martin wrote:

1. Make jelly (1 lb. sugar to 1 pint juice).

2. Make a crumble.

3. Make wine (4-6 lbs. to each gallon)

4. Freeze them until you can think of something else.

Thanks we have considered all 4 options. For number 4 we need a new
deep freeze as our current two freezers are full.

5. Well, what about redcurrant flavoured ice cream?

6. Fresh fruit salad with redcurrants....

Details on how to make option #3 please.

You will need:

- a gallon jar

- an air lock

- sachet of dried wine yeast (not brewer's or baker's yeast - they would
impart the wrong flavour).

These are available from your local wine-making supplies. Boots may
still have some of this in stock but they are giving up selling
wine-making paraphernalia. Otherwise look on the web for a supplier by
post.

Crush 3 lbs. of redcurrants and strain the juice off. Whatever you do,
don't boil the redcurrants. This would cause the pectin to cloud the
finished product permanently. One could use a pectolytic enzyme to get
rid of the pectin but this shouldn't be necessary. Make up a yeast
starter as instructed on the yeast packet. Dissolve 2lbs. sugar in
water, add to the juice and make up to nearly one gallon with water
leaving just enough room for the yeast starter.

If you need more detailed instructions just ask.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |