Old 27-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Hope Munro Smith

Default relocating to California

In article ,
(Jan Flora) wrote:

In article , Hope Munro
Smith wrote:

"Philip" wrote in
news:kAgUa.145298$ye4.99443@sccrnsc01:

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message Yes, I have
looked at this, and it is very ambiguous. Basically, it says
you can try to bring whatever you like, but we may dump it on the
side of the road if we don't like the looks of it.

I think the main thing they're looking for is unwanted bugs, such as
fire ants (dear God make sure you're not bringing any, please) and
fruit flies. Fruit plants are usually the most looked at, and from
what you're talking about bringing I don't think you'll have a
problem.

Don't worry, no fire ants! Those things are evil!

Now then, where in our fine state is your final destination?

Fresno

Don't toss your good plants. Bring them and offer them for inspection
at the border station. At least root cuttings from all of your favorites
and bring them!

Yes, that's what we plan to do!

I grew up in Calif. My mom is a horticulturist. We travelled extensively
all over the west. My mom used to *fill* the car with plants, then try
to stuff my little brother and me in there somewhere. She inspected every-
thing before she bought it, and never had anything taken away upon
inspection.

Yes, I'm going to repot everything in fresh soil,
except for the lucky bamboo, which is in water of course.

In Fresno, you can grow *everything.* Fruit trees, nut trees, tomatoes
right outdoors, herbs like crazy. That isn't my favorite town in the state,
but boy, howdy, is it a great area for gardening! You can run up into the
Sierra when it gets too hot : )

Yay!