Old 27-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] Bonsai / not bonsai / biscuits

Hi Peter,

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that the #75 Kokufu-ten was not in
1991, but in 2001. Also, it has been made rather clear that these prizes by
non-traditional (by Japanese standards) species were purchased. What is not
quite so clear is just how many other times awards to this or that native
Japanese tree were purchased in the past.

Aside from the corruption aspects from this show, I think it is good that
the excellent efforts of tropical bonsai artists are recognized. The idea
that Japanese species are "bonsai" while non-Japanese species are not bonsai
is utterly vacuous. What makes them bonsai is the aesthetic, not the
species nor the environment of origin.

I think that the actress in "Steel Magnolias" said it best when she said,
"If a dog gives birth to her puppies in the oven, you don't call them
biscuits."

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.bonsai365.com/ :: living bonsai every day