Old 28-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Hal

Default Device for fertilizing lilies

On 27 Jul 2003 17:46:55 -0700, (K) wrote:

Anyone have a link for the plans to that device, I think it was made
from PVC pipe and you could jam it into the lily pot and fertilize
without getting IN the pond?
Also, somewhere with it, there was something about not having to use
the pond pellets but adapting regular fertilizer.
All my old links are dead. Anyone have current information?

I don't know of a site that has that information, but I went to Lowe's
and picked up a 1/4" diameter 48" long wood dowel and found a plastic
tube that the dowel fit in a bit loosely. I used plant spikes for
flower pots from the garden center brand name isn't as important as
getting a higher middle number 6-12-6. The high middle number is the
dreaded phosphates, but flowering plants like it.

Insert the dowel into the tube and shove the assembly into the lily
pot dirt. Hold the tube steady, remove the dowel and insert a spike
into the tube followed by the dowel, then force the spike into the
dirt with the dowel and remove the dowel and tube leaving the spike in
the dirt or planting media.

There are more expensive fertilizers available, but if they feed the
plants they have nitrates, phosphates and potash, just like the
regular plant fertilizer.

Regards,

Hal