Old 28-07-2003, 05:02 AM
B.Server

Default Pruning oregano (and other herbs)

On 25 Jul 2003 04:30:55 GMT, (EvelynMcH)
wrote:

Pinch it off before it has a chance to flower by cutting the central stem just
immediately above a pair of leaves. I harvest mine with a pair of kitchen
shears at least once a week - once they flower, they lose a lot of flavor, I
think. You can be fairly merciless, but don't cut more than half the stem's
height at one time, or you will over-stress the plant.

If you can't use all that oregano at once, freeze it. I put mine in small cube
storage containers with a little olive oil. They go into the microwave to thaw,
and right into the crock for sauce. (Same goes for basil, too.)

IMO, this needs a little nuance. First, where do you live? Farther
south, where even the annual herbs will grow late into the year, they
can flower, be cut, flower again and again be cut. Around here
(Central Texas) I am starting to see volunteers from the spring basils
sprouting.

Second, which herb? Annuals (Basil, dill, cilantro etc) lose more
when they flower than perennials. (oregano, marjoram, rosemary,
sage...) These recover from flowering very quickly and are as
aromatic as always in a few days. To be completely contrary, my
marjoram's flower/seed pods are among the most intensely aromatic and
flavorful parts of the plant. I cut and save them separately from the
rest of the leaves. They are the herb of choice for braises and other
slow cooking.