Old 28-07-2003, 09:32 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Catching Snails?

wrote in message
om...
Can anyone tell me how to go about catching snails WITHOUT poisoning
them or drowning them? I have heard that snails love beer (can you
blame them?), but how would you set up a snail trap where they are
kept alive, but can't get out?
I intend to cook them, after they have "cleaned themselves" out. Bran
or something?
Anyway, a good snail trap that doesn't poison or drown them? I hear
that they like dark damp areas.

Wait for a dry spell of weather and after a few days of dryness wait for
a solid afternoon shower of rain or give your garden and lawn a good
watering in the late afternoon to produce the same result. Pay
attention to areas near hiding places, such as piles of bricks or
timber, rockeries, tubs, thick grass near fences, etc, anywhere that
snails will hide away from the sun. After dark go out with a good
strong light and a bucket. All your snails will have come out to feed
and take advantage of the damp conditions. You should be able to pick
them up by the handful.

David