Old 28-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Iain Miller

Default Pond planning - what size wall to build?

Just having a discussion with my SO about our upcoming pond project & we are
thinking in terms of building two. Round our terrace there is a brick wall
which, where the first pond will go, is actually a planter about 12 inches
wide with a single skin of brick on either side. We are going to put a
raised pond on the other side of this which will be about 3-4 feet deep.
This will require less than 12" of excavation. So my question is as to what
thickness of concrete block wall I need to build in order to retain the two
sides where the "X"s are in the following diagram. The pond will be about
5-6 feet wide & about 8 feet long. There will be a dirt bank sloping down to
where the second pond will be on the left hand end. I was thinking of using
either 6" blocks or those hollow blocks that you lay & then fill with
concrete & then sticking a liner inside it.

Rgds

Iain

Waterfall | XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX space for filters etc.
to second | X _______________
Pond/Dirt | Pond X |
Bank | X |Conservatory
Wall | Existing Planter | |