Old 28-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] Not a challenge- [IBC] Hmmm was/ Is this a Bonsai?

Good Day to All,
Ms.Kitsune,

thanks for the reply.Yes,it makes perfect sense.
I thought maybe there was some rule I had missed
on what is a bonsai.

Generally,I just go on the idea that it's a miniaturised
tree in a pot,though I have also seen shrubs,weeds and
shrublets that also carry the illusion very well.

I have no problems with Tropical trees as Bonsai,but
find deadwood on Tropical trees a bit much,as this tends
to feel like Juniper wannabe's.Most trees in the tropics with
deadwood do not have resin to protect their exposed wood.
They can become very hard,but seldom are insect resistant
and look very unnatural with driftwood.

With more time and effort,I believe,selected Tropical trees
will take their place in the Bonsai hierarchy.I can see Fukien
tea,Sparrow plum,Wild coffee,Pemphis,Casuarina[when they
stop trying to make it look like a pine],Tamarind,any of the willow
type Ficus trees,Gmelina,Murraya P,becoming classic specimens.
Yes,even the Serissas,because the list above and this shrub
all have the ability to handle refinement.
There are probably at least 50 more or so to come,as more of
the unknown tropicals are selected for training.

Unfortunately,these are choices to be made by the talented
individuals who can go past the standard shapes,be they amateur
or professional.Sincerity is a must in any profession or hobby.
Unfortunately,because these folk are rare.

I think with regards to Mallsai,the problem lies not in the presentation
of the tree/shrub,but in the reluctance to learn the craft and move
on to a better situation for the Mallsai.
Blame not the plant or supplier,but the owner/grower,for being
so insincere.
Stay Well,
Khaimraj [ who was born in the West and speaks not a word of Hindi
- chuckle.]
[West Indies/Caribbean,
the soggy lands.]