Old 28-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Tomato Ripening Problem

The only thing I know of that may apply is b'lotchy ripening' which is:

"a fruit disorder that is associated with specific environmental factors and
possibly bacteria. The cause is not clearly understood. Graywall is promoted
by low light intensity (a condition prevalent among dense vines), low temperature
levels, excessive soil moisture, high nitrogen levelss, and low potassium levels."
(Quote from _Identifying Diseases of Vegetables_ by Penn. State University
College of Agriculture.)

And...
I found this page of pictures of mineral deficiencies in tomatoes, just now:
http://www.luminet.net/~wenonah/min-def/tomatoes.htm

Phaedrine Stonebridge said:

All our plum tomatoes are in one garden and the rest in a completely
different area. The rest of our tomatoes appear to be ripening normally
but the plums (Romas and San Marzanos) are very weird. They look
totally ripe on the outside but when you cut them, they still have a lot
of whitish green on the inside. And if you leave the San Marzanos to
further ripen, they start to mottle and get bad spots! The Romas seem
much less affected but are still problematic. I have never seen
anything like this before. Does this anomaly sound familiar to anyone?
We also have Opalkas (in the same plot) but they have not ripened at all
yet. Might this be a nutritional problem? Missouri Z 5b

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)