Old 28-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Green Tomatoes????

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:39:42 -0400, Steve Calvin
wrote:

Interesting Pat, I've never heard that before but it explains that last
few years of "late" tomatoes.

I'd sort of figured (informally) that the tomatoes don't
like the cool nights.... anyway, this rather explains it,
doesn't it?

You know: this year, I started my tomatoes from seed. I
transplanted the first two plants (Early Girls) into the
garden in WalloWaters on May 8. MAY 8!

They were LARGE plants by then, I'd transplanted them
several times and they were about 18" tall, and stocky.
Here it is July 28 and no ripe tomatoes! Early Girl is
supposed to ripen in 59 days after transplanting (according
to Burpee's catalog).

Mine were transplanted to the garden about 80 days ago...
and they were much larger than most transplants when I set
them out. No ripe tomatoes yet.

It will be interesting to see if the hoophouse improves
matters.

Pat