Old 28-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Green Tomatoes????

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:39:42 -0400, Steve Calvin
wrote:

Interesting Pat, I've never heard that before but it explains that last
few years of "late" tomatoes.

PS (see earlier answer) - I think the fact that the Brits
normally grow tomatoes under glass (in greenhouses) gives at
least some credence to this. Their summers are fairly cool
(by our standards).

We have a friend who lives around the corner from us - he's
English. They moved to the USA three years ago: this is
their fourth summer here.

He just routinely continued to grow his tomatoes in an
unheated (plastic) greenhouse - I don't think he was even
aware that most Americans don't grow them under glass, at
first.

He's had many more ripe tomatoes than I have for the last
two years (we only moved here two years ago).

Pat