Old 28-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Zack Lau

Default Problem

"Dustin Albright" wrote in message
I have 15 rosebushes that were placed in containers when we moved last
september and they have been in storage since then. I am now ready to put
them in their new home but I can't imagine anything being much worse for
them than planting them now. Any way to minimize the damage? They are in
pretty rough shape now but they are attempting to flower.

I've had very good luck planting roses in the summer, but there is an
adequate supply of
water in the greater Hartford area. I even transplanted a Love HT and a Huey
sport earlier this month (July)--the latter was a bit surprising, since I
ripped it off a HT,
leaving it with a minimal root system. OTOH, I moved the HT in a big
undisturbed
chunk of soil, to minimize the root damage. I think helps if you can do the
planting without
breaking up the soil around the roots of the roses, but this may be easier
said than done. There
is just the right amount of moisture that helps keep the soil together. I
wouldn't try it if I
couldn't water them every day. Don't forget to drink plenty of water
yourself--even before
you feel thirsty.

Zack Lau W1VT