Old 28-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Green Tomatoes????

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:42:12 GMT, "Mike Stevenson"
wrote:

I grew a variety of tomato called 4th of July that is sopposed to have one
of the earliest ripening dates of any tomato. As the name implies if you get
them in the ground soon enough, and the weather cooperates you'll have ripe
tomatoes by 7/4. I got mine in the ground on May 8th. My first ripe tomato
actually came off my Sweet Treat cherry tomatoes lol! That was about 2 weeks
ago. The first 4th of July came about a week ago. I just pulled 5 ripe
tomatoes off the 4th of July tomato, and many more are beginning to ripen.
Many Sweet Treats are also ripening, and 1 of my Big Mama tomatoes has
started turning yellow. None of the Burpee's Burgers and Brandy Boys are
even close to ripening, they just keep getting bigger and bigger.

My weather has been almost exactly like yours (Pat) this year, aside from
the fact we've had far warmer days (and nights) during this month.

The first week in July was hot here - temps in the high 80s.

I don't think we've had any temperature over 80 since then -
pretty cool. I know we've not turned the air conditioners
on since that first week in July - haven't felt the need for
air conditioning. It's nice for people, although not for
tomatoes!

It's not unusual for it to get down into the 40s here at
night in summer, and very occasionally, summer nights have
temperatures in the 30s.

Pat