Old 28-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Jay Sinclair

Default [IBC] Not a challenge- [IBC] Hmmm was/ Is this a Bonsai?

Jim Lewis wrote:

In the winter, here, it gets down to 8 degrees sometimes, Craig.
We can have a few weeks when temperatures never reach 40. Now, I
KNOW that's nothing to you, a veteran of Maine and other New
England winters, but it isn't "tropical" and I just don't have
the inclination to either bring trees in the house (where trees
do NOT belong!) or build and maintain (and protect from falling
limbs and high winds, etc.) a greenhouse.

So it's just a bonsai lifestyle choice, I guess.

Jim, up here in the frozen north a few tropicals in the house can help make those
gray winter days a bit more tolerable. That is at least part of why some of us are
willing to put up with the hassles of lights, etc., not to mention doing the
'bonsai shuffle' in the spring and fall. It's true that unless you go to greater
lengths than most of us can afford, trees simply will not do as well indoors. This
trade-off is, as you say, a bonsai lifestyle choice.

To each his own...

:-)

Jay, Zone 5, Michigan
--
Peace, n. In international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of
fighting.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++