Old 28-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default What is this sunflower pest?

Bill R wrote:

Tyra Trevellyn wrote:
Pelvis Popcan
wrote:

Thanks for your ideas. There may be some kind of fungus on the leaves

(I
usually see signs of powdery mildew late in the season on sunflowers).

However, the real problem right now is whatever is consuming the leaves

as
described. I need to identify that before I can take any measures.

(Sorry to hear about the storm damage to your plantings.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

Tyra,

In my area we have a LOT of problems with Japanese Beetles
eating the sunflower leaves. I use insecticide soap (very
safe to use on any plants) and it helps but you have to
re-spray it after every rain.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Bill,
Thanks for your suggestion, but there are no Japanese beetles hereabouts,
amazingly enough (we seem to have most everything else!). However, I 'm going
to do a light soap spray on one or two of the plants just to see if whatever it
is might find the spray itself distasteful. Since I can't see anything on the
leaves, I doubt if I'll be destroying any insects that way. At this point, I'm
figuring it must be some night feeder and I'll have to do the late-night
flashlight search tonight.

I still think grasshoppers might be a possibillity, but I've yet to see more
than that one a week or so ago.

Thanks again and
best,
Tyra