Old 28-07-2003, 06:42 PM
NC

Default holly problems

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

"NC" wrote in message
I have a problem with a couple of small holly plants. They've been in

the
same place for at least four years. Something is damaging the plants;

one
has lost most of its leaves and has large sections of twig going black.
There are also some growths on the twigs. The other appears to be just
beginning to suffer.

Your holly appears to be suffering from Holly leaf blight, caused by
infection with Phytophtora illis bacteria. For chapter and verse search

for
either term on google and include "RHS advice" in the search line.

The bad news is that there is no treatment/cure. No fungicides are

licensed
for domestic use for this problem.

Many thanks for the detailed reply, (much of which I've cut).

Given the size of plants and the severity of infection in one, I think I
should dig up and destroy both. A quick inspection of the old hedgerow
holly showed no obvious symptoms, and it would be a serious loss to risk
that tree. Fortunately material (clippings, compost, etc) tends not to
travel from the infected area of the garden towards the hedge holly, so
risks of transmission are minimised.

RHS website suggests burning as a means of destroying infected material.
I'll look around for a suitable fire and put the remains onto something
that's well alight.

Next is deciding what to replace them with; obviously not another holly.
Pyrocantha is a likely choice - any reason why I should not use that ?

Nigel