Old 28-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Teri

Default Koi or shubunkin or frankenstein -- how can I tell?

Thanks for solving the mystery. I can stop scrutinizing the fry and
waiting for them to turn into beautiful koi :-) I'll settle for
beautiful shubunkin. I only have a few of the boring grey variety

The fish, including my largest koi, are no bigger than 4 inches in
length, so my 300 galloon pond certainly looks roomy enough. However,
I'm putting in a second pond next week that will be over 1500 gallons,
so that should allow them room to grow. I took a pond tour a few weeks
ago and saw several ponds in the 500 gallon range that had footlong
koi, so it looks like there are a lot of people out there who aren't
observing the guidelines.

Teri