Old 28-07-2003, 08:02 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default Just Curious, O/T - Box Turtle diet

Anne,

What happened with the box turtle? Did you find a rescue group, or let the
guy go off on his own?

I had a wild turtle that lived in my garden in Florida who had three legs,
but grew bigger every year, so obviously he thrived with three legs.
Presumably if food is plentiful, a missing leg is only important to protect
against predators. Mine was one of those nasty snapping turtles with a long
piggish snout, and he was not only big, but AGGRESSIVE. I literally had to
watch my, er, backside, when I squatted to weed the verbena bed, because he
was so fast even with three legs, and he WANTED a nice juicy chunk of me.

Thinking about your turtle reminded me, and now that I'm safe from him, I
can laugh about it. grin

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
.com...
Yesterday, I noticed a Box Turtle (I think that's what it was) next to one
of my raised beds. Actually, I nearly stepped on the poor guy, because I
wasn't expecting any surprises there!

The turtle seems to be missing one of its front legs. I don't know how

this
affects its ability to move around, it's apparent that the turtle uses its
front legs to pull off pieces of food to eat -- when I put down a few
slices of melon, it used one front foot to hold down the melon while

pulling
pieces off.

Anybody have any suggestions what I should do -- if anything -- to

help
this turtle out? I say "if anything" because I'd hate to see the turtle
become dependent upon my putting down food for it under the hedge. I'm

not
going to put it in a cage, nor am I going to relocate it if I can help it,
because right now it's safe from my own dogs (and other dogs), and there

are
lots of places for it to find cover.

Thanks,

Anne Lurie