Old 28-07-2003, 09:03 PM
Frankhartx

Default New to gardening...

From: "Fito"

m starting to see tiny melons. Shocker,
huh? Anyway, I dont want to disrupt its growth but dont kn

what to do when
the melons get heavier. The

container is about 3 feet off the ground and I

desperately will try anything to keep the plant as healthy and fruitful as
possible. Anyone have a thought on some type of support I can give

Slings made of old panty hosehe pot sizes
ranged from 2 gallon to 15 gallon. I am worried that the 2 gallon containers
arent big enough and that I overstuffed the larger containers (two in a 10
gallon). Also, I am considering using stakes that have varnish or paint on
them (they are just sitting there in my garage). Is that safe?

The small pots will not suport a full size plant--you can trim it to one

leader and put it somewhere where it can be supported or can sprawl freely'
Your stakes are ok to use. The plants in the larger plots might have to be
trimmed to two leaders each plant. I never prune my tomatos and do not
ordinarily reccommend it, however in your case where the plants are crowded it
will probably be necessary.