Old 28-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Fito

Default New to gardening...

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article , "Fito"
writes:

Welcome to you.

Thanks.

Here are some remarks:
1. I planted watermelon in a container this year. The vine started

growing
against a chain link fence. Mind you - ...... Anyone have a

thought on some type of support I can give to the fruit.
Pantyhose. Find the largest size you can! Use the panty part , tie knots

in
the legs and cut off the rest of the leg and feet.. You can then improvise

sling, fastening it to the fence to hold up the developing fruit.
Even if not successful, it should provide quite a conversation piece.

A conversation piece it will be as everyone in this neighborhood has had
difficulty growing watermelon.

2. Tomatoes. I planted about 30 beefsteaks in containers

Wow, 30 tomato plants-you must be planning on feeding the whole city of

NY!

As I said- my first year. Looks like I will have a ton of tomatoes to give
away.

. The pot sizes
ranged from 2 gallon to 15 gallon. I am worried that the 2 gallon

containers
arent big enough and that I overstuffed the larger containers (two in a

10
gallon).

I don't grow beefsteak or container tomatoes, so I cant help much with

this
They will need watering quite often, however. Can you transfer some of the
2 gallons in the ground?

The plants in the 2 gallon pots are about 2.5 to 3 feet tall. I am wary of
transplanting them now.

Also, I am considering using stakes that have varnish or paint on
them (they are just sitting there in my garage). Is that safe?

Should be fine.

3. Roses. I have a sick rose bush. Yellow leaves with black spots.

Obviously
fungus right? As I stared at it yesterday, a small bee landed on one of

the
leaves and cut a half inch semi-circle in it. Right before my very eyes.

thought I was seeing things. I dont know the variety of the rose bush.

Your
thoughts?

Black spot is not a great problem here, but when it does occur, the

solution is
cleanliness. Remove the infected leaves from the plant, and from under

neath
the plant. Destroy/throw in garbage, do not compost. Mulch under the plant
to keep spores from splashing up onto leaves. Water only the roots, avoid
getting water on the leaves, especially at night. Others in NY can

probably
help with a spray if needed. I don't spray.
The bee is the Leaf cutter bee. Really a neat little creature. She will

take
the
circle of leaf to her nest, where she will curl it into a tube with many

other
pieces. She will deposit her egg in this tube nest. They are not harmful

your roses or other plants, and should just be left to her business.

good luck with your garden, Fito, you have joined with some very cool

people on
this newsgroup. Stay around!
Emilie
Nor Calif.

Will try the rose advice Emilie. Sounds simple enough. I also have many more
questions so I will be sticking around. Thanks.

Fito