Old 28-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Default Lowering pH

Thanks, Lee for the advice. No to well water. This has been frustrating
for me because I've never had a pH/KH problem with any of our other ponds.
This is a 3 month old pond in full sunlight. And when I say full.....I mean
at least 9 hours of sun. We have a living gravel filter and lots of plants.
My ongoing fights have been getting enough surface shade, using plants, and
the pH/KH. We used a different stone for couping and my guess is that it is
full of limestone (Laurel mountain stone). The pH this morning was 7.7 at
83o. Right now (3:45) it is 9.1 at 89o. The pond is 2400 gal. with a 3/4HP
pump and because of water temp., I've added an air diffuser in the farthest
corner. During the hottest time of the day, the fish either have
disappeared in the hornwort in the deepest part of the pond or are riding
the current from the waterfall. As soon as the sun gets off the pond, they
all come out to stretch their fins.
Something I don't understand is....Nedra mentioned that Rod recommended
adding the BS over a three day period. I'm assuming that is for a gradual
decrease/increase of the pH. If the fish are going thru a pH swing, like my
situation, then why hassle with a gradual change, why not get the sucker
lowered/increased over the course of a day? It couldn't be any worse then
what they are going thru, anyway. Thanks again.
Kathy
"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Kathy, as Theron stated, Baking Soda is strange inasmuch as it will both
raise and lower pH to the 8.2-8.4 range. It will also raise your KH to a
more respectable number, which will add the buffering you need to protect
against pH crashes in heavy rains.

Are you by any chance on well water?

By the way, 9 is "getting" high, but is still a safe and respectable

level.
Don't lose any sleep over it: your fish and plants will do just fine.

Lee

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
What is the fastest, safest way to lower the pH. My pH is registering

at
9.01 with KH of 89.5. Go figure. Please advise...thanks.
Kathy