Old 28-07-2003, 10:04 PM
RichToyBox

Default Lowering pH

I try to keep my KH up at a level similar to Lee's, and if it drops to about
6 or 8 drops, the pH is still rock solid, and I just dump in about 2/3 of a
10 pound box of baking soda in the 4000 gallon pond and 1/3 in the 2500
gallon pond. That is as close as I measure. I have to do this about once
or twice a month. Cups are too small, unless you are initially trying to
stabilize the pH, where you don't want to give a pH shock.
--
RichToyBox

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Rod told me to add 1 cup of baking soda for every 1,000
gallons of water. That is what I've been doing all year!
I add the baking soda for three days running. Then wait
until we have lots of rain. Go thru the whole process again.
I have a pond full of Koi and goldfish..... no one has been
hurt yet.

Nedra

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
Theron wrote in message

. ..
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:58:17 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

Bob, isn't the KH low though? I know baking soda will
raise the KH -and pH will stablize at 8.4 - but I have no
idea what baking soda will do to lower the pH. Seems
like the buffering should also be addressed.

Nedra

Baking Soda will also lower the Ph to 8.4. Its strange but it will
raise it if its low, and lower it if its high.

Theron

I have tried to stabilize my KH/GH/PH for a 10 day straight period I
by added baking soda and limestone every day in the amounts that Rod
recommended.
(6oz baking soda + 1 1/2 oz epsom salt + 6 oz pelletized limestone
daily to raise KH/GH each one degree daily. He recommened this slow
raise due to fish in pond).

Note: I was only able to find the one type of limestone here.

It hasn't worked. I think because of all the rain we get here in
Florida (we have had rain every afternoon for at least a month now).
I finally gave up. Any ideas on how to overcome the KH/PH flux with
all this rain?

Last reading were KH 180, GH 150, but PH bounces from 7.8 AM to 9+
late afternoon. I was not able to get either the KH or GH any higher.

Pond is in full sun so heat is also a factor as water gets to high
80's. I'm running a 22' stream into 1650 gallon pond stocked with 70
bunches of anachris, a few reed plants, a half dozen iris and dozen
water lilies which right now are covering about 1/2 the surface. Pump
is a 3600 pondmaster going thru a Savio skimmer with one filter pad in
it. Savio has only been running for the last month. Pond is stocked
with 9 Goldfish (3 are babies about 3" long, other 6 range from 6" up
to 9"). I only feed the fish occasionally (maybe once a week). Pond
has been up and running since early May and I can only see down about
10" due to brown algae. Getting ready to install my biofilter in the
next few days. Any suggestions?

Sue W