Old 28-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Sue Walsh

Default Lowering pH

Nedra,
Actually both you and Lee agree that I should keep up with the baking
soda. So by your calculations I can add 1& 1/2 cups for my pond and
still be safe for the fish. OK, I will do that 3 days running,
between the rain drops (actually torrents & lightning strikes).

Lee,
Basically it's brown water that gets worse when stirred by rain, I can
only see down about 8" maybe 10" into the pond. The liner, edges of
the leaves and stems get covered with the brown stuff. The filter
gets clogged in a few days and we need to keep cleaning it. It looks
like dirty bropwn water, but the pond guy around here says its brown
algae.

Doesn't the waterfall do enough to add oxygen to the water, it comes
in at a pretty good rate from the stream? I never see the fish up top
looking for air. They do occasionally swim thru the waterfall. Had
one in the skimmer yesterday, got it out and it seems to be OK, anyway
to stop that happening again?

Will Get the biofilter up and running and then just wait it out. It
would be so nice to be able to see my fish where ever they are!

Should I be doing 25% water changes in the pond at this point? I used
to do it in the barrel garden, but I'm not sure if it would do any
good here or just slow up the process of balancing.

Thanks, Sue W

"Nedra" wrote in message rthlink.net...
Rod told me to add 1 cup of baking soda for every 1,000
gallons of water. That is what I've been doing all year!
I add the baking soda for three days running. Then wait
until we have lots of rain. Go thru the whole process again.
I have a pond full of Koi and goldfish..... no one has been
hurt yet.

Nedra