Old 28-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Lowering pH

3 months is still a new pond, and my experience is that they have wild
swings. It's not good, but they do. The limestone (if indeed you have it in
the pond) should not be a problem: it wants a pH of around 8. Above 8, and
it just sits there. Below 8, and it slowly dissolves. But it's not a radical
change. A gradual change in pH and KH is more desireable than an abrupt
change. But you're correct: if it's already doing that anyway, what's the
harm? Just get it in there and hope it starts to work. When I first dealt
with "new pond syndrome", it took several weeks to settle down and find its
median. Somewhere on another post I answered I mentioned the change of pH
between AM and PM, linking it to the plants, reverse osmosis and all that
stuff. CO2 is acid, which will drive pH down. In the day, the plants produce
O2, driving the pH up. Baking Soda will give you enough buffer in the KH to
hold against the CO2 enforced drop. You mention below that you also have an
airstone going, which is good: it helps to provide the oxygen that the fish
need in the higher water temps, and it helps to counterbalance the CO2 that
the plants put out at night. For what its worth, I keep my KH ~ 200-225. At
that range, the water/pH doesn't have much of a choice but to stabilize. And
filters (mine is a bead type, but ALL filters) need the carbonate to feed
the bio-bugs, which means the filter works more efficiently. It buffers
against acid rain. It's a good thing. The fish need stability in the pH. Go
for it.

Lee

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
Thanks, Lee for the advice. No to well water. This has been frustrating
for me because I've never had a pH/KH problem with any of our other ponds.
This is a 3 month old pond in full sunlight. And when I say full.....I

mean
at least 9 hours of sun. We have a living gravel filter and lots of

plants.
My ongoing fights have been getting enough surface shade, using plants,

and
the pH/KH. We used a different stone for couping and my guess is that it

is
full of limestone (Laurel mountain stone). The pH this morning was 7.7 at
83o. Right now (3:45) it is 9.1 at 89o. The pond is 2400 gal. with a

3/4HP
pump and because of water temp., I've added an air diffuser in the

farthest
corner. During the hottest time of the day, the fish either have
disappeared in the hornwort in the deepest part of the pond or are riding
the current from the waterfall. As soon as the sun gets off the pond,

they
all come out to stretch their fins.
Something I don't understand is....Nedra mentioned that Rod recommended
adding the BS over a three day period. I'm assuming that is for a gradual
decrease/increase of the pH. If the fish are going thru a pH swing, like

my
situation, then why hassle with a gradual change, why not get the sucker
lowered/increased over the course of a day? It couldn't be any worse then
what they are going thru, anyway. Thanks again.
Kathy
"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Kathy, as Theron stated, Baking Soda is strange inasmuch as it will both
raise and lower pH to the 8.2-8.4 range. It will also raise your KH to a
more respectable number, which will add the buffering you need to

protect
against pH crashes in heavy rains.

Are you by any chance on well water?

By the way, 9 is "getting" high, but is still a safe and respectable

level.
Don't lose any sleep over it: your fish and plants will do just fine.

Lee

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
What is the fastest, safest way to lower the pH. My pH is registering

at
9.01 with KH of 89.5. Go figure. Please advise...thanks.
Kathy