Old 28-07-2003, 10:04 PM
BK

Default iris Pseudacorus

"Victoria Clare" wrote

You can make quite a good boggy area out of a cheap black plastic pot or
bucket sunk into the earth, as long as it doesn't have holes in (cheap
ones from a market often don't).

Dig large hole: insert pot with top at ground level.

Fill with the garden soil you dug out, and plant irises.

Top up with water till soggy.

You can't see it's a pot if you plant stuff round the edges, and it's
much less of a pain to keep watered than wet-loving things planted
straight into well-drained soil. Just give it a topup if it stays
really dry for weeks.

Recommend only using black: anything else will be visibly plasticky.

I've done this with iris, and they stay green and cheerful even when the
soil is cracked with drought.

Victoria

That's a great idea, thanks. And thanks for the other tips.

Would somebody please cast their eyes over this little lot please...

http://www.crazycaz.com/pseudacorus.jpg

(I have to take this down after a couple of days as it's my
daughter's web site g)

I didn't realise they were so difficult to pull apart. Have
I taken too much off the roots and rhizomes? I'll cut the
green back and put them in a bucket tonight.

And that's less than half of what I've got so far! I'll pack
up a few to take with me to Kew.

*******
Barbara
Pick out the stones to email me