Old 28-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Gordon Couger

Default Paying to find non-GE wild corn?

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"Moosh:]" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:10:50 +0100, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

Good one! Thing that staggers me is how little of a pint of milk or a
pound of beef you producers actually get. You lot seem to supply a
cheap raw material for every other bugger to cop a markup on.
I know you've tried to take action on this, but I suppose there is
always a farmer in the next village who is hungrier and will cave in.
You need something like a builders' union or a miners' union. Big and
powerful that can fund you for a three month strike.

in the UK supermarket chains make party donations, farmers don't.

Also a three month strike at the right time of year, even if possible

would
lead to a collapse of western society because people would starve.Even if
they imported the food, there isn't all that much food on the market (see
what UK fmd outbreak did to beef prices in the first couple of weeks of

the
outbreak and UK is not a big beef producer in world terms)
In the UK with a lorry drivers strike there was a panic and the

supermarkets
were nearly emptied overnight. I doubt there are the stocks of food in the
country to stand a two week break in supply.

Even when we were a odds with the USSR we sold them wheat. My
daughter-in-law, who is from mainland China, says as long as there is food
and shelter the people will put up with almost anything.

Look at the unrest in Africa where there is a food shortage. And the
potential for war with India and Pakistan over who is the dominate power
controlling agriculture in the area as the population outstrips the areas
ability to produce food. Not to mention the religious problems involved.

Empty stomachs make desperate people. We have a country primarily built on
emigrants that were willing to walk in to a totaly unknown situation rather
than stay where they were for one reason or another. Hunger was on strong
motivator.

Gordon

Gordon