Old 28-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Collecting Junipers

Before I start, just let me say that one of these is a landscape shrub in MY
yard and the other is in the cow pasture of a relative.

Both plants are Junipers (one is a yellow-gold variety) the other is growing
wild out in a field and I have no idea as to the variety. It has
needle-like foliage much like a procumbens, but larger. I would like to
actually collect them both next spring. I'm not so worried about the
landscape one as the one growing wild in the cow pasture. That one is
probably at LEAST 30 years old if not significantly older. There is a lot
of dead wood on it and it is growing quite closely to another, much larger
plant of the same type. The larger one is way too big for me to even try to
collect. My question is: given that I want to collect them in the spring,
when should I dig a ring around them to encourage fine root growth prior to
collecting them? I probably should have done that this past spring; but I
didn't. For reasons I don't really have time to go into, I need to collect
them next spring as opposed to waiting until later. Should I wait until
early autumn or is it ok to dig the ring now if I leave them where they are
until spring? So far our summer has been milder than I can ever remember
with lots of rain. Of course that could change dramatically quite quickly!

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++