Old 29-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Pruning Holly

In ,
JennyC typed:
I seem to have a holly bush infected with leafminer. The leaves look
scorched and seem to match pictures of leafminer damage I've found on
the web.

Could I prune the shrub hard back now so that it has time to make some
new growth before the winter ??

Describe the damage more. There is often confusion between leaf miner damage
(minor problem) and holly leaf blight see two post thread on sunday "Holly
problems" for link to photos of the latter damage.

Miner, appears as central blisters without killing the leaf. Blight, as drey
dead sections working from the edge. You use of the term "..scorched..."
suggests it tmay be the latter.

pk