Old 29-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default "Black Knight" Butteryfly Bush

From: (Fleemo)
Date: Mon, Jul 28, 2003 6:45 PM
The label for the plant was an actual label stuck to the surface of
the pot, so it wasn't a shopper accidentally switching tags, but a
nursery or grower error. The funny thing is, we went to a couple of
nurseries in pursuit of a Black Knight, and one nursery had this same
lighter purple and called it a Black Knight. We thought they were
crazy. So we returned to the one place in town that had the deep dark
Black Knight, and purchased a smaller specimen that wasn't in bloom
yet. Weeks later we discovered the error.

Is Nanho Purple the same deep, almost black purple as Black Knight?
And just how large does it get? And would you mind passing along the
URL for Blue Stone?

Thanks!

-Fleemo

Re Nanho Purple: I've been growing one since the year before last. Its blooms
are a rich medium purple (with the orange eye), veering to the blue side of
the shade rather than the violet/pink. It's not a light shade, but it's much
lighter than Black Knight. Mine, in its third year here, is close to 5 ft.,
which is about the height it should attain. Last year it was about 3-4 ft.
This is a perfect shrub for a mixed border and it responds well to constant
cutting-back and deadheading during the growing season by producing more and
more blooms. Smallish graceful gray-green leaves and slender flower spikes
keep it right in scale. I love this plant!

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7