Old 29-07-2003, 03:12 AM
paghat

Default "Black Knight" Butteryfly Bush

In article ,
(Marley1372) wrote:

'Royal red' and 'black knight' are often confused and even as I go and look at
the ones at work I can tell the black knights are really something else. I
dont understand how this happens with buddleias because the cuttings will root
and flower in less than six weeks, making it really easy to at least narrow
down to a few. Also, paghat, im fairly sure 'petite indigo' and 'hanho blue'
are two different named varieties??

Toad

In my garden notes is an attempt to sort out registered names from
trademark & other nursery variants, & I wouldn't swear I've sorted it out
right, but I"m about 95% certain there are only three cultivars presently
in the nursery trade from the smaller subspecies nanhoensis, but with
different names from different growers, to whit:

Nanho Alba = Monite = White Dwarf = Petite Snow(TM)
Nanho Purple = Monum = Purple Dwarf = Petite Plum(TM)
Nanho Blue = Mongo = Blue Dwarf = Petite Indigo(TM)

Confusion arises because some catalogs obtain butterfly bushes from more
than one wholesaler and very occasionally end up cataloging the same shrub
twice under two names, either not knowing they're the same, or because a
shrub labeled as in the "Petite" series cannot legally be sold with that
name except through arrangement with the trademark holder.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/