Old 29-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] Collecting Junipers

Landscape junipers are not so difficult to collect. However, the wild one you
dscribe is Juniperus communis. European bonsai artists have successfully
collected the European form. You can see wild juniper bonsai in the European
books. However, the American form, although very interesting in appearance,
does not take well to bonsai culture. Those who have tried it had it die on
them. I can report that young specimens make very good foundation shrubs, if
you don't mind the prickles. There are other American junipers from out West
which make excellent bonsai, but you have to either go there & collect them, or
pay a pretty penny.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."