Old 29-07-2003, 04:03 AM
Kelly Garner

Default herb garden

In article , Heidi wrote:
-=-=-=-=-=-
Sweet Basil Okay, this is an annual, but it's worth it to buy a
small cheap pot of it at a nursery or farmer's market (I've tried to
grow it from seed, but find it takes too much effort. I'd rather spend
$2 on a 3 inch pot ready to go). The plants grow quickly
and easily in the summer. You must plant it after the
last frost. Basil does not like a lot of water, mine did really well
last year in the drought, but got off to a slow start this year due to
all the rain. Still, my basil is now quite large. I always make
huge batches of pesto, pour the pesto into ice
cube trays, and freeze my pesto cubes to use year round. Homemade pesto
is so easy to make, and so darn good--it is worth it to plant this
annual. It is said, by gardening gurus, that planting
basil near tomatoes can actually improve the flavor of the
tomato.

If you let basil go to seed it will come back year after year (as I found out this year
when I had sweet basil, Thai basil and lemon basil volunteers). I also had cilantro
volunteers and some dill volunteers.

Cheers
KJ
--
---
NC Gay and Lesbian Film Festival at the Carolina Theatre in Durham