Old 29-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default What is this sunflower pest? Bingo!

From: oway (Tyra Trevellyn)
Date: Mon, Jul 28, 2003 10:26 PM
From:
(Beecrofter)
Date: Mon, Jul 28, 2003 10:21 PM
Put a few pans or trashcan lids of water with a drop of dish soap in
thewm under the plants and overnight the feeding insect will drop into
it and drown.
My bet is on Asiatic beetles.

I am just about to go out with a flashlight to look.....and now I think
I'll
take some pans of soapy water with me. Thanks.....! I'll report back
tomorrow.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

OK.....you got it right, you ol' bettin' man. There they were, pretty little
ruddy brown beetles, 1/2 inch or so, and I tapped a few off into the soapy
water. Geesh.....now what.....? My search found info that says if you shine a
light into the soil at night they'll come out to look (if they're not already
on the plants). Since it's raining tonight, I'll have to play that game
tomorrow night. But I really can't see how hand-picking is going to dent the
population.

Now I realize that the grubs I see when I'm digging the beds must be the larvae
of the Asiatic Garden Beetle. I've been in this location for five summers and
it's only that long since no pesticides have been put down on the grass and
surrounding areas (according to my wishes). I guess it took this long for the
population to build up to the numbers it must now have attained for the damage
to be severe enough to notice. Must research a safe way to get these critters.

Thanks so very much.....!
Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7