Old 29-07-2003, 08:02 AM
J. Lane

Default New to gardening...

Hey Fito,
Welcome to the group. You could can or freeze some of those tomatoes. I
wouldn't move them now but water them often and if you think the plants are
bearing enough fruit(about 15-20 per plant) pinch off the new flowers so
that the plant can put it's energy toward the fruit.
Re the watermelon. I might consider getting a net and cutting it to fit
around the melons and tie the net to the fence. Don't net them until they
are about half the size they should be before harvest. Probably about the
size of a grapefruit
Good luck,
--
Jayel
"Fito" wrote in message
Being new to this group, I will introduce myself. I am 36, single

(nurseries
have a lot of women in them. My bar-hopping buddies will never learn my
secret.) and live in NYC. That, I think, is zone 7. Due to my recent
unemployment I have had a lot of time on my hands. Gardening happily

filled
that gap. Plus it allows me to spend a lot of quality time with my parents
as it is at their house that I garden.

I have read many of the past posts to see if my questions have been asked.
Please bear with me if I ask a question already answered. Hopefully, in

the
future, I will be an asset to this forum.

Some background for those who dont live in this part of the country.

Spring
was very rainy. I planted in early spring and almost saw many of my
perrenials drown. Summer started off extremely hot - we have experienced
many +90 degree days since late June. Ok, now for the first of many
questions.

1. I planted watermelon in a container this year. The vine started growing
against a chain link fence. Mind you - I didnt think I would be sucessful

or
I wouldnt have planted in a container against a fence. The plant is
intertwined in the fence and now I am starting to see tiny melons.

Shocker,
huh? Anyway, I dont want to disrupt its growth but dont know what to do

when
the melons get heavier. The container is about 3 feet off the ground and I
desperately will try anything to keep the plant as healthy and fruitful as
possible. Anyone have a thought on some type of support I can give to the
fruit.

2. Tomatoes. I planted about 30 beefsteaks in containers. The pot sizes
ranged from 2 gallon to 15 gallon. I am worried that the 2 gallon

containers
arent big enough and that I overstuffed the larger containers (two in a 10
gallon). Also, I am considering using stakes that have varnish or paint on
them (they are just sitting there in my garage). Is that safe?

3. Roses. I have a sick rose bush. Yellow leaves with black spots.

Obviously
fungus right? As I stared at it yesterday, a small bee landed on one of

the
leaves and cut a half inch semi-circle in it. Right before my very eyes. I
thought I was seeing things. I dont know the variety of the rose bush.

Your
thoughts?

In the 2 months I have lurked here I have gained such valuable insight on
gardening. I thank all of you - even those who ask questions for without
them we would have no answers. This is my first year gardening. For the
stress relief and relaxation it provides, I should have started long ago.

Fito