Old 29-07-2003, 08:12 AM
J. Lane

Default Best way to increase Nitrogen quickly.

Hi jhultman,
suggest adding some cow or horse manure. Also the weather has been damned
hot and may be stressing your plants out.
--
Jayel
"jhultman" wrote in message

Prompted by poor size on the tomatoes...

I bought a soil test kit and found that PH is 6.5 7.0 = Generally

Acceptable.

P and K were high but N is depleted. Which explains the poor fruit sizes?

My romas are the size of a large marble, tomatillos too.
Other tomato varieties size are less than expected...

This is the first time this ground had been set up as a bed. Previously

is
sat covered with plastic and tan bark for ten + years. In preparing this

160
square ft. bed I started with
about 3 cubic yards of compost added and rototilled in. Put some lime in

the
soil and tilled that in with the compost...

Without having to resort to chemical fertilizers, what would be a good
way to increase N so the remaining growth cycle of the vegetables will
benefit? Reading up on it I find info that says to add 28 - 30 oz of N
fertilizer per 100 sq. feet. But what I'm not sure about is if the

granular
stuff in the box at the garden center is most beneficial.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
San Jose, Calif.