Old 29-07-2003, 08:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Does size matter...when stocking Koi in your pond... :)

On 24 Jul 2003 08:12:11 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" wrote:

Hmmm. I've only worked with little fish, under 6" in 3 different labs. The
fish usually rolled over in about 3-4 minutes and could be handled easily.
When done, they were placed in a second tank with airstones running, and
they recouped in about 2 minutes. In fact, catching them to return them to
the main population was a problem, so they *definitely* felt better! We were
using 5 drops to the gallon. It's funny that you say the KHA course doesn't
exactly approve of the Oil of Clove; Doc Johnson stated that it was safer,
inasmuch as he had fish that he thought were dead from it, only to have them
revive on the trip home. He thought it was safer in "amateur" hands than
Finquel, the "vet approved" anasthesia, which is *definitely* fatal if
mishandled or overdosed. I haven't used the Finquel - maybe "one of these
days"???? so I guess it's a matter of what YOU - the person in charge! - is
most comfortable with.

Rightly so, we follow and are more comfortable with what our teachers
teach. Finquel can knock a fish out in 30 seconds to a minute and wake up
time is about that fast too, ime. I would never have considered using it if
I'd not seen it demonstrated many times.

Let me know how it goes with this final dip. I haven't had to use IT,
either! I have a full stock of meds in my first aid kit, but hope I never
have to use them G

Dipping went well, I was amazed how relaxed the fish was after 5 minutes in
the dip, wasn't hard to recapture and this was without using Finquel. The
whole thing was SO much easier w/less stress. Fish is looking good so far
and I'm feeding it Medi-Koi now.

All fish in the pond are looking good too, I am wondering if I can relax
yet?

Can anyone tell me how long it might take an ucler the size of a quarter to
heal up? Should one wait till it is completely healed before returning fish
to pond with its buddies? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~