Old 29-07-2003, 12:13 PM
J Jackson

Default red currants

martin wrote:
: On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:08:02 GMT, J Jackson
: wrote:

:martin wrote:
:: On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:53:02 +0100, Pam Moore
:: wrote:
:
::On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:33:26 +0200, martin wrote:
::
::Another question is what to do with the vast crop of red currants that
::we have this year.
::
::Keep them in the freezer so that next year, if yours get stolen, as
::mine did this year, (allotment) you can say "Oh well, I still have
::last years"!!!
:
:: Pam "we still have some of last years in the freezer" :-)
:
:: Are there any EU subsidies available for plowing up red currant
:: bushes?
:
::-)
:
:Nobody mentioned juicing. Though I'm not super keen on rec currant juice
:on it's own, but red & blackcurrant juice can be really nice. Suitably
:bottled it will keep till next season.

: in a deep freeze or what? The fresh real orange juices on sale here go
: off within a few day, at the moment, if not kept in a fridge

no either syrup'ed and bottled sterilised or you can sterilise the juice
and bottle. It doesn't keep at well, but it certainly lasts many months.

Jim