Old 29-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Peter H

Default Looking for good photos to help identify grass species in my lawn...

"BeamGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
I will admit I'm pretty much a beginner, and I have sinned. I reseeded a

patch of my lawn
with the wrong type grass seed, and now I have a bright, almost lime green

island of stuff
that I would swear is crab-grass in the middle of the rest of my dark

green lawn with tiny
little blades that stand straight up. Assuming grass was grass I used

several bags of
different seed, I'm not even sure which bag contains the offending seed.

I've searched the web, and found some seed companies that have photos, but

those photos
are just a little larger than a postage stamp on my monitor and usually

are taken from about
6 feet up, with no scale... not much help. Is there a good site that has

large photos, close
up, with scales so that I can identify both the culprit and the desired

species?

Thanks...

Identifying different grass types is not an easy job for the amateur. Many
of the pros out there have problems once you get beyond the most common
varieties. Simply looking at the photo of the grass type will often not be
enough. You have to consider the root type, shape and type of blade etc. I
have a excellent book on the subject, but nothing online.

I do have a couple of suggestions though. Feed the leftover seed to the
birds and the next time you buy seed be sure to purchase it at a reputable
garden center and not a " hardware store".

Another consideration is that you will have a variety of different grasses
in most seed mixes. Most contain a nursegrass, which is simply there to
germinate early and give the other seeds time to germinate. Once the lawn is
established the nursegrass is crowded out and dies. What you are seeing may
just be the nursegrass and the new seed may blend in given enough time.

Peter H