Old 29-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Steve Harris

Default Knowing when to pick sweet corn

I'm growing a sweet corn called "blue jade"

Hessayon says to look out for the tassels going chocolate brown. He also
says to test the corn by squeezing a grain and looking for a creamy
fluid.

Noticing some dark brown tassels, I faced a problem - the corn is
covered with many layers of husk. I tore my way into two of them and
found:

- One ripe one with about 10 grains which tested as being ripe and I
cooked and it was great.
- One large unripe one which of course has lost it's protective husk in
the process! So it's effectively dead.

There is some vital detail in this harvesting process that I'm missing?