Old 29-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Bpyboy

Default Can you over-do the Organics?

Hi guys,
I have a couple of days off here, and was going to put in another plot, and
help my brother in law who just bought a home put a garden and some beds in
there.

I was wondering, is it possible to OVER-DO the organics? We have access to
some fresh horse bedding, cattle bedding from a local auction place, a lot of
free stuff from the landfill (all the wood chips and grass and leaf clippings
they pick up in the fall).
I was thinking that we might just till as much of all of it as possible into
the soil. Then let it "rest" for a couple months (or maybe until next season).

Does this "shotgun" approach to gardening work? The soils in question are
already pretty good, but it would be nice to build it into that stuff you see
in all the books! Also, in "Square foot gardening" (by mel bartholomew), he
said that the first thing he tells any new gardener is to get some vermiculite
to improve structure and drainage.

What do you think, just go ahead and bomb the garden plot with a ton of
organics, let it rest, then plant it? that's how top soil forms in nature.

How long does it take for the breakdown to re-release nitrogen?
any thoughts?
thanks
john