Old 29-07-2003, 03:12 PM
JNJ

Default Gardening & Energy Conservation

The next large project we are going to do is have a cistern installed with
filter system. That way, no water from the city need be used. I don't

drink it
now. What the hell is chloramine? Anyway, in Texas where we live, we have

an
average yearly rainfall of 31 inches. It's enough to fill a ten thousand

gallon
cistern many times. As little as a quarter inch of water can fill all of

my
current 75 gallon rain barrels. The City of Austin sells them for 45

dollars.
They are the ones in the Gardeners Supply Catalog which otherwise cost 130
dollars each. Maybe even a bit more.

I originally wanted to dig a well -- my basement is forever flooding from
the ever rising water table so I figured why not? Well, the City is why
not -- if city water is available one cannot dig a well. This redirected my
interests to rainwater.

I already run a water filter on my tap water before drinking or cooking. I
wonder how much more costly it would be to filter rainwater instead.

James