Old 29-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Poisonous Toads and Your Pet

Check these sites for info on our local amphibeans:

http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/fro...pictorial.htm#

A lot of them have recordings of the calls that they make, too.

Lee
"Don" wrote in message
Dave:

Thanks for the reply. It may very well have been a tree frog - it was

small
and didn't look menacing at all. I think I also read that bufo toads are

not
terribly fast, and this little guy was gone in a flash.

I never have dog food outdoors - it would attract bugs and in this heat,
would probably go bad very quickly anyhow. There is a good amount of

foliage
near the pond where a toad could find cover. However, there aren't many

bugs
around - I spray the yard periodically to prevent fleas and ticks and that
also keeps the ants and other pests under control. No small critters

either,
just the occasional squirrel.

I did find a new batch of eggs in the pond on Saturday, so someone is
definitely visiting. My yard is fenced in though, so unless a bufo can

jump
or climb over a 6' fence I'm not sure how they would get in. There may be

few small gaps here and there but there's no large openings for anything

too
large to crawl under.

If I find eggs again, is there any easy way to tell if they are from a

bufo
or a tree frog (which I assume are harmless). The little tadpoles I found

week or two ago were chomping on the water lilies, if that's any

indication
one way or another.

Thanks.
Don