Old 29-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Shiva

Default Problem

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:54:56 -0700, "Dustin Albright"
wrote:

I have 15 rosebushes that were placed in containers when we moved last
september and they have been in storage since then.

Storage? You just mean still in pots, right?

I am now ready to put
them in their new home but I can't imagine anything being much worse for
them than planting them now. Any way to minimize the damage? They are in
pretty rough shape now but they are attempting to flower.

Where are you, Dustin? Meaning, how hot is your summer? Ours is pretty
hot, steady 90s.. I have transplanted in summer, but usually only in
emergencies due to vole attacks. Also, how old are these roses, how
much root system did you get, and how big are the pots? I'm thinking
that if they have pretty good root systems they might do better being
planted in the dead of summer.

If you can, I think I would wait. Prepare their bed, and get them in
the ground at the first sign of fall. It will be easier on them.

Another consideration is, how cold are your winters, and are these
grafted or ownroot roses?

Is there a reason you need them well established before winter? If so,
plant them now.

Hope that helps--

Shiva, Hopeless Waffler!