Old 29-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Corcoran. Bil

Default [IBC] Another beginner to Bonsai(help?)

Luke:

What trees are indoor and what trees are outdoor trees is a topic in
many books...HOWEVER...my preference was to take a more local approach.
You see there are some varieties or trees that can be indoor in some
climates and outdoors in other or some combination thereof. You'll also
find some disagreement on whether a tree is indoor or outdoor. For
example many sites list Chinese Elm as indoor, however after the advice
of someone on this list that lives near my Zone 4-5 location I leave my
Chinese Elm outdoors all year.

My local approach, at least at first was this. I visited the home
centers and local nurseries and trees that were in the greenhouse were
mostly indoor and trees outside were mostly outside. Now that may
simplify it a little and I certainly recommend asking at the nursery or
checking a book on a specific tree but it is a fairly safe guideline.

With that said if you find a tree you are in doubt about ask here on the
list. Just post what the tree is and where you are and you'll get
information.

As far as what I have for indoor trees...
Ficus (benjamina, green island, golden gate, nerifolia/willow-leaf,
kiki, too-little)
Jade
Chinese Sweet Plum (Sageretia Theezan sp?)
Chinese Privet
Serissa (many varieties)
Fukien Tea (Carmona Macrophylla sp?)

These are the most common and I'm sure others will chime in.

Let me know if that doesn't help...I have a book somewhere dedicated to
indoor trees.

wmcorcor

== Which are indoor ones?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++