Old 29-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Peter H

Default Looking for good photos to help identify grass species in my lawn...

"BeamGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
Thanks for your reply...

Indeed - the mix of seeds I used appears to have three types of seeds,

Kentucky bluegrass, Perennial ryegrass,
and a type of Fescue. The existing lawn is mostly a dark green grass with

very fine leaves (roughly 1/16" across).
In the newly seeded areas there may be some plants like this, but the

dominant grass is a much lighter shade with very
wide floppy leaves (almost 1/2" across). This lighter grass also grows

almost three times as fast at the other grass. In
some areas where the overseeding was light I can pull up single plants

that come from one central seed area but have
spread out almost a foot in diameter!

Yes - I bought it as a Scotts "sun & shade" grass seed mixture at hardware

store.

Can I hope that whatever this is it will die off this winter?

-thanks

A quick google search produced this result.

http://2001.scotts.com/lawncare/GrassSeed.cfm

The sun and shade mix is listed there. One of the grasses listed is "tall
fescue", which is probably the large-bladed leaf that you mentioned. Whether
or not tall fescue will be a problem in your lawn will depend upon where you
are located, which to a large extent will determine the grass that you have
in your existing lawn.

I'm in the Toronto area of Canada and around here tall fescue is a bit of a
pain. It doesn't seem to blend well with Kentucky bluegrass/ perennial
ryegrass lawns. I know that in some parts of the US it is routinely planted
though because it's a sturdy variety.

Peter H